Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult Hype Novel 19 Minutes by simply Jodi Picoult is a book based on a college shooting in the small community of Sterling, although…...Read
From Wikipedia, the totally free encyclopedia
Leap to: navigation, search
Here is info about the ruminant dog. For various other uses, observe Deer (disambiguation).
" Fawn" and " Stag" redirect here. For other uses, find Fawn (disambiguation) and Stag (disambiguation).
Provisional, provisory range: Early on OligoceneвЂ“Recent
Male (Stag Red Deer)
Array of the Deer, all kinds
Deer (singular and plural) are the ruminant mammals forming the family Cervidae. Varieties in the Cervidae family incorporate white-tailed deer, elk, moose, red deer, reindeer (caribou), fallow deer, roe deer and chital. Male deer of all species (except the Chinese water deer) and female reindeer expand and shed new antlers each year. In this they vary from permanently horned animals just like antelope; these are in the same order as deer and might bear a superficial similarity. The spray deer of Asia and water chevrotain (or mouse deer) of tropical African and Cookware forests aren't usually regarded as true deer and contact form their own families, Moschidae and Tragulidae, respectively.
[hide] 1 Terminology
3 Biology 3. 1 Antlers
a few. 2 Colour 3. 2 . 1 Piebald deer
several. 2 . 2 White deer
3. three or more Evolution
some Economic value
5 Taxonomy 5. one particular Extant subfamilies, genera and species
your five. 2 Extinct subfamilies, genera and kinds
5. several Hybrid deer
6 Cultural significance 6. 1 Heraldry
6. a couple of Literature and art
7 See also
9 External links
Deer grazing in Rocky Huge batch National Playground in Colorado
The term " deer" was formerly broad in meaning, yet became more specific over time. In Middle The english language der (Old English dД“or) meant a wild animal of any sort. This was in contrast to cattle, which in turn meant any kind of domestic livestock that was easy to get and remove from the property, from the thought of personal-property possession (rather than real estate property) and relevant to modern chattel (property) and capital. Cognates of Old English dД“or in other useless Germanic languages have the basic sense of " animal", such as Older High A language like german tior, Outdated Norse djur or dИіr, Gothic dius, Old Saxon dier, and Old Frisian diar.
This general sense provided way to the modern impression in The english language, by the end in the Middle English language period around 1500. However , all modern Germanic languages preserve English and Scots support the more standard sense: for instance , German Tier, Alemannic Diere or Tiere, Pennsylvania Nederlander Gedier, Nederlander dier, Afrikaans dier, Limburgish diere, Norwegian dyr, Swedish djur, Danish dyr, Icelandic dГЅr, Faroese dГЅr, Western Frisian dier, and North Frisian diarten, all of which imply " animal", contrary to south European vocabulary: Dama in Latin or daim in French indicate " fallow deer" just.
For some deer in modern The english language usage, you is called a " buck" and the feminine is a " doe", nevertheless the terms vary with vernacular, and especially based on the size of the species. For several larger deer the male is actually a " stag", while for additional larger deer the same words and phrases are used concerning cattle: " bull" and " cow". The male Red Deer is known as a " hart", especially if more than five years old, and the girl is a " hind", especially if three or even more years old; equally terms can also be used for any types of deer, and were broadly so used in the past. Terms for young deer vary likewise, with that of all being called a " fawn" and that of the larger species " calf"; young from the smallest types may be a child. A group of deer of any kind is a...
Referrals: 4. ^ Owen, Adam (August 25, 2003). " Scottish Deer Are Causes in Fowl Killings". Nationwide Geographic Reports. Retrieved 2009-06-16.
5. ^ Dale, Michael jordan (1988). " Carnivorous Deer". Omni Journal: 31.
six. ^ Cockerill, Rosemary (1984). Macdonald, Deb.. ed. The Encyclopedia of Mammals. Nyc: Facts on File. pp. 520вЂ“529. ISBN 0-87196-871-1.
18. ^ Keep, A. We., Smith, G. C., Etherington, T. R. and Delahay, R. J. (2009). " Estimating the chance of cattle contact with tuberculosis carried by wild deer relative to badgers in England and Wales". Record of Animals Diseases 45 (4): 1104вЂ“1120. PMID 19901384.
15. ^ Anonymous (2008). " Boeotian TB: EFRACom calls for a multifaceted procedure using almost all available methods". The Vet Record 162 (9): 258вЂ“259. doi: twelve. 1136/vr. 162. 9. 258. PMID 18350673.
18. ^ U. S i9000. Department of the Interior, Seafood and Animals Service, and U. S. Department of Commerce, U. S. Census Bureau. 06\ National Study of Doing some fishing, Hunting, and Wildlife-Associated Excitement.
19. ^ a m Pitraa, Fickela, Meijaard, Lines (2004`). " Evolution and phylogeny of old universe deer". Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution thirty-three: 880вЂ“895. doi: 10. 1016/j. ympev. 2005. 07. 013. PMID 15522810.
20. ^ Duarte, J. M. B., GonzГЎlez, H. and Maldonado, J. Elizabeth. (2008). " The astonishing evolutionary history of South American deer". Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution forty-nine (1): 17вЂ“22. doi: 15. 1016/j. ympev. 2008. '07. 009. PMID 18675919.
twenty-two. ^ Berrin, Katherine & Larco Museum. The Spirit of Old Peru: Treasures from the Pinacoteca ArqueolГіgico Rafael Larco Herrera. New York: Thames and Hudson, 1997.